With the countrywide distribution of the filaria medication winding down in four densely populated Regions, the Ministry of Health is reporting that a total of 363,932 persons accepted the medication to date.
The mass distribution drive commenced on February 15, 2021 in Regions Four and three and then moved onto Regions Six and Ten.
It was launched at the weekend in Region One and will also be done simultaneously in Regions Two, Seven and Five.
Health Minister Dr. Frank Anthony is encouraged by the response the last time the exercise was conducted in these regions and as such he is confident that the rollout will be “very strong.”
Speaking during his daily update on Monday, the Minister said the Ministry managed to have 74% of residents in Region One take the medication.
“I hope that they can do the same and be better this time around… from the enthusiasm I know they will do better,” he said.
Dr. Anthony said when these regions are completed Guyana anticipates having a high number of persons taking the medication altogether. Once this is achieved, Guyana will be declared filaria-free by the World Health Organization (WHO).
As the teams continue to work by going from house to house, Dr Anthony is urging the population to cooperate.
Dr Anthony had said previously that if this time elapses and persons do not take the second dose of the medication, then the programme will have to restart.
He said this would reverse the gains made during the mass administration of the first dose of the filaria tablets two years ago.